Dr. Syed Ali Hassan and Dr. Aamir Mahmood (Assistant Professor, Mid Sweden University, Sweden) established their collaboration through an Initiation Grant from STINT, Sweden in 2017, for a joint research project. Since then, they have actively worked together in joint supervision of students are various levels, writing funding applications, organizing bilateral research visits, extending their internationalization activities and networks, and arranging special issues in conferences and journals.
Aamir Mahmood received the B.E. degree in electrical engineering from the National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Pakistan, in 2002, and the M.Sc. and D.Sc. degrees in communications engineering from the Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering, Finland, respectively, in 2008 and 2014. He worked as a Research Intern at the Nokia Researcher Center, Finland, in 2014, Visiting Researcher at Aalto University from 2015 to 2016, and a Postdoctoral Researcher at Mid Sweden University (MIUN), Sweden, between 2016-2018. Since 2019, he has been an Assistant Professor in communications engineering with the Department of Information Systems and Technology, MIUN.
Dr. Aamir has contributed to several national (Vinnova, KK foundation, MIDE-Aalto) and international (Celtic) projects for conducting research and developing project demonstrators. He has co-supervised 3 Ph.D./licentiate thesis with 4 ongoing Ph.D. students as well as several Erasmus Ph.D. visiting researchers and master’s thesis students. Dr. Aamir has authored more than 70 peer-reviewed scientific publications in wireless communications, actively contributing to 5G-and-beyond networks for IIoT, 5G-TSN integration, ML/AI for radio network optimization and management, RF interference and coexistence, network time synchronization, and wireless positioning. He is a recipient of several awards, including the Nokia Foundation, Ericsson Research Foundation, STINT grants, and IEEE WCNC’13 best paper award.
Dr. Aamir collaborates with national/international industrial and academic partners, which has been instrumental in developing the expertise and knowledge of translating cross-industrial needs to design integrated wired-wireless industrial IoT networks.
The objective of this project is to initiate a research collaboration between Mid Sweden University (MIUN) and the National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST) to investigate enabling ICT technologies for power distribution systems that can reliably monitor the load variations and transmission losses in real-time. Such monitoring is essential to i) cope with the potential failures in the distribution network caused by gap in demand and capacity, ii) develop smart metering solutions and, iii) guard against transmission losses and theft. The project aims to extend this effort for M2M and future 5G enabling technologies.
In summary, the project will focus on these elements:
1) Research Visits: We organize two-sided short visits (1-3 weeks) of senior researchers and MSc/PhD students to work on the problem
2) Guest Lectures: Senior researchers deliver thematic lectures at the universities
3) Workshops: We intend to organize a workshop by inviting other researchers and the specialists. The main purpose of this workshop is in depth discussion on the research problems and gathering real-life requirements.
Dr. Syed Ali Hassan (Pakistan Side)
Dr. Aamir Mehmood (Sweden Side)
The project, funded by Swedish Knowledge Foundation (KKS), has the following far-reaching bilateral objectives
– Increasing theoretical competence of SEECS and MIUN on wireless communication and signal processing, and machine learning domains.
– Enhancing the ambition level of junior researchers, increase their competence to publish in high-ranked journals, and thus will improve our chances for academic research funding, and participation in EU projects.
– Strengthening the strategic internationalization efforts in the field of critical industrial IoT and massive IoT networks, which is in line with the current priorities of respective research groups of two institutes.
– Improving and complementing our department’s efforts on education and research level by bring freshness and new views in teaching and research methodologies.
– Contribute towards meeting the needs of the existing business partners as well as giving the much needed impetuous to approach bigger industrial players.
- Muhammad Waseem Akhtar (Currently, Postdoc at Mid Sweden University, Sweden)
- Shah Zeb
- Sarah Basharat
- Rafay Iqbal Ansari
- Muhammad Karam Shehzad
- Shah Zeb (Currently, Ph.D. at SEECS, NUST)
- Sarah Basharat (Currently, Ph.D. at SEECS, NUST)
- Noor Waqar
- Ahsan Waleed Nazar
- Danish Ilyas
- Syed Fahad Hassan
- Syed Usama Minhaj
- Muhammad Abdullah Khan
- Mahnoor Anjum
- Muhammad Shehryar Aslam
- Alishba Khan
- Abeera Atif
1. N. Waqar, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, K. Dev, D. T. Do, M. Gidlund, “Computation Offloading and Resource Allocation in MEC-Enabled Integrated Aerial-Terrestrial Vehicular Networks: A Reinforcement Learning Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, to appear, 2022.
2. A. Mahmood, L. Beltrameli, S. F. Abedin, S. Zeb, N. I. Mowla, S. A. Hassan, E. Sisinni, M. Gidlund, “Industrial IoT in 5G-and-Beyond Networks: Vision, Architecture, and Design Trends,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 4122-4137, June 2022.
3. D. Yang, A. Mahmood, S. A. Hassan and M. Gidlund, “Guest Editorial: Industrial IoT and Sensor Networks in 5G-and-Beyond Wireless Communication,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 4118-4121, June 2022.
4. S. Zeb, A. Mahmood, S. A. Hassan, M. Gidlund, M. Guizani, “Analysis of Beyond 5G Integrated Communication and Ranging Services Under Indoor 3-D mmWave Stochastic Channels,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 7128-7138, October 2022.
5. S. Zeb, A. Mahmood, SA Khowaja, K. Dev, SA Hassan, NM Qureshi, M. Gidlund , P. Bellavista, “Industry 5.0 is Coming: A Survey on Intelligent NextG Wireless Networks as Technological Enablers,” arXiv preprint arXiv:2205.09084, May 2022. (Under review in IEEE Communication Survey & Tutorials)
6. S. Zeb, A. Mahmood, S.A. Hassan et al., “ Industrial digital twins at the nexus of NextG wireless networks and computational intelligence: A survey,” Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 200, April 2022.
7. S. Basharat, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, Z. Ding, M. Gidlund, “Reconfigurable Intelligent Surfaces-Assisted Backscatter Communications: A New Frontier for Enabling 6G IoT Networks,” IEEE Wireless Communications, to appear, 2022.
8. S. Basharat, S. Ali Hassan, H. Pervaiz, A. Mahmood, Z. Ding and M. Gidlund, “Reconfigurable Intelligent Surfaces: Potentials, Applications, and Challenges for 6G Wireless Networks,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 184-191, December 2021.
9. 9. S. Grimaldi, A. Mahmood, S. A. Hassan, M. Gidlund, G. P. Hanke , “Autonomous Interference Mapping for Industrial IoT Networks over Unlicensed Bands“, IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 67-78, March 2021.
10. A. W. Nazar, S. A. Hassan, H. Jung, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund, “BER Analysis of a Backscatter Communication System with Non-Orthogonal Multiple Access,” IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 574-586, June 2021.
11. M. W. Akhtar, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, H. Jung, H. K. Qureshi and M. Gidlund, “Q2A-NOMA: A Q-Learning-based QoS-Aware NOMA System Design for Diverse Data Rate Requirements,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, to appear, 2022.
12. M. S. Aslam, A. Khan, A. Atif, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, H. K. Qureshi, M. Gidlund , “Exploring Multi-hop LoRa for Green Smart Cities,” IEEE Network Magazine, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 225-231, March/April 2020.
13. M. Anjum, M.A. Khan, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, H. K. Qureshi, M. Gidlund , “RSSI Fingerprinting-based Localization Using Machine Learning in LoRa Networks“, IEEE Internet of Things Magazine, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 53-59, Dec. 2020.
14. R. I. Ansari, H. Pervaiz, C. Chrysostomou, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund , “Control-Data Separation Architecture for Dual-Band mmWave Networks: A New Dimension to Spectrum Management“, IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 34925-34937, 2019.
15. A. Mehmood , E. Sisinni, L. Guntupalli, R. Rondon, S. A. Hassan, M. Gidlund, “Scalability Analysis of a LoRa Network under Imperfect Orthogonality“, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1425-1436, March 2019.
16. S. Zeb, M.A. Rathore, A. Mahmood, S.A. Hassan, J. Kim, and M. Gidlund, “Edge Intelligence in Softwarized 6G: Deep Learning-enabled Network Traffic Predictions“, Proceedings of the IEEE Globecom, Dec. 2021, Spain.
17. N. Rubab, S. Zeb, A. Mahmood, S. A. Hassan, M. Gidlund, “Interference Mitigation in RIS-assisted 6G Systems for Indoor Industrial IoT Networks“, IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing, Finland, June 2022.
18. N. Waqar, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund, H. Jung, Joint Power and Beamforming Optimization of UAV-assisted NOMA Networks for B5G-enabled Smart Cities“, ACM Mobicom, 2021.
19. D. Ilyas, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund, “Performance of STBC Cooperative NOMA with Imperfect Successive Interference Cancellation,” IEEE ICC, 2021.
20. S. Zeb, A. Mahmood, S. A. Hassan, S. H. Ahmad, M. Gidlund, “Impact of Indoor Multipath Channels on Timing Advance for URLLC in Industrial IoT“, Proceedings of the IEEE ICC, June 2020, Dublin, Ireland.
21. S. U. Minhaj, S. H. Ali, M. T. Bhatti, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund, “How SIC-enabled LoRa Fares under Imperfect Orthogonality?” IEEE IWCMC, June 2021.
22. S. Zeb, A. Mahmood, H. Pervaiz, S. A. Hassan, M. I. Ashraf, Z. Li, M. Gidlund, “On TOA-based Ranging over mmWave 5G for Indoor Industrial IoT Networks“, Proceedings of the IEEE Globecom, Dec. 2020, Taipei, Taiwan.
23. Shah Zeb, Qamar Abbas, Syed Ali Hassan, Aamir Mahmood, Rafia Mumtaz, S. M. Zaidi, Syed Ali Raza Zaidi, and Mikael Gidlund, “NOMA Enhanced Backscatter Communication for Green IoT Networks,” 16th ISWCS, Aug. 2019.
24. M. K. Shehzad, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund , “On the Association of Small Cell Base Stations with UAVs using Unsupervised Learning,” Proceedings of the IEEE VTC Spring 2019, May 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
25. M. Anjum, M. A. Khan, S. A. Hassan, A. Mahmood, M. Gidlund, “Analysis of RSSI Fingerprinting in LoRa Networks,” Proceedings of the IEEE IWCMC, Jun 2019, Tangier, Morocco.
26. S. F. Hassan, A. Mahmood, S. A. Hassan, M. Gidlund, “Wireless Mediation for Multi-Hop Networks in Time Critical Industrial Applications“, Proceedings of the IEEE Globecom, Dec. 2018, United Arab Emirates.
27. S. F. Hassan, A. Mehmood, S. A. Hassan, M. Gidlund, “Wireless Mediation of Multiple Equi-Priority events in Time Critical Industrial Applications,” ACM Mobihoc, June 2018.
28. Shah Zeb, Qamar Abbas, Syed Ali Hassan, Aamir Mahmood, and Mikael Gidlund, “Enhancing Backscatter Communication in IoT Networks with Power-Domain NOMA“, in Wireless-Powered Backscatter Communications for Internet of Things, pp. 81-101, Springer, 2020.